Sunday, September 11, 2011

IKEA commercial

As I was home for the weekend with my family, my mom and I had to run an errand to the grocery store. We were throwing a party for my older sister and needed groceries. As we collected the usual party supplies, we headed over to the cash register to check out and carry on with our day. My mom paid the woman at the cash register and walked away. As we got into the parking lot, my mom pulled out the receipt and was dismayed by the amount of "awesome" deals that she had received. Without informing me of her discovery, she simply looked at me and began shouting, "start the carrrr! woooo!". I then began to laugh and understood my moms nonsense. The bill must have been cheaper then what was expected because my mom always seems to quote the IKEA commercial when she discovers a deal. For those who have not seen the IKEA commercial, here it is: 



My family and I love this commercial because many of us, no matter what age, have experienced a similar situation. Alright, maybe not quite to the extent of the woman's disbelief in this commercial, but still a compatible scenario. I think that this commercial was very effective for IKEA because when I explain this commercial to people, many know what I am talking about almost immediately. When I looked the video up on YouTube, I realized that this commercial was created 5 years ago in 2006. I was 14 when this commercial aired on television and I still remember it like it was yesterday I watched it. The point of an advertisement is to connect with the audience and I definitely think that was exactly IKEA's approach when creating this commercial. 

No comments:

Post a Comment